Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Frozen Toes

Jonathan and I trekked north last week, ending up in places like Glen Arbor, Elk Rapids and Traverse City. We traveled through the snow and the cold to write and enjoy ourselves.

The drive up and the drive back were both intense. It snowed the entire drive north. As the sun began to set visibility became increasingly difficult. Especially when semi-trucks rumbled passed and blew up clouds of snow, completely blinding our view. It took us much longer to reach our destination because of the weather, but we did see foxes hunting for a midnight snack!

The journey back made me wish cars had crampons. As we woke that morning we had no idea an ice storm lay in wait just beyond our door. The roads and sidewalks were sheets of ice. The harrowing drive was filled with overturned SUVs, a large fire that caused a detour with an uncertain end and long patches of thick fog. But, hey, we also had peanut butter pretzels and we survived!

One lesson I learned during this trip? I need new shoes. My supposedly waterproof boots soaked my socks and feet with icy, cold snow.

However, the snow-covered hills, the dark forests and the frozen lakes fed the imagination and made for a magical time.


Frozen Elk Lake (and a patch of rare blue)...


Another frozen lake...Glen Lake, I believe.


Lake Michigan--not frozen!


The Journey Home...Scary! I kept waiting for Annie Wilkes to show up.
Jonathan said, "She'll show up, break our legs and force us to write forever."
She actually might be a good cure for writer's block. ;o)


No comments: